Yoga positively impacts your nervous system, which may help you develop a healthier stress response. Our stress response is our collection of physiological changes that occur when we perceive a threat (fight, flight, freeze). Yoga trains the nervous system to return to balance quickly after a challenge. By training yourself to actively observe while staying calm in poses, you’ll be able to do the same thing when difficult situations, thoughts, or emotions arise in the face of stress. There is now scientific evidence that supports the effects of yoga for the health and wellbeing of the mind, body, and heart.
Yoga = connection = self-awareness = self-regulation
Tickle BE- (Forward Fold)
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart with number 11 feet (feet parallel with toes pointed forward).
- Place your BE Buddy face up, between your feet on the floor in front of you.
- Breathe in deeply as you reach your arms out wide and up high to the sky.
- Breathe out, bend at your hips to fold forward reaching your arms out wide and down to your toes. Bend your knees as much as you’d like.
- Tickle your BE Buddy’s belly with your fingers as you relax your arms and shoulders.
- Gently nod your head “yes” and “no” to let go of any tension in your head, neck, and shoulders.
- Relax and breathe here letting go of tension with each exhale.
- When you are ready, tuck your tailbone and breathe in as you slowly roll back up to the standing position.
Did You Know?
Bringing the head below your heart calms your nervous system.
When would you practice this?
Benefits of Yoga:
Yoga encourages students to look internally to find strength, focus, and make decisions.
It offers an accessible approach to learn using the mind, body, heart cooperatively.
It invites the opportunity to observe bodily reactions in the face of challenge or difficulty in a safe and nurturing environment.
Yoga has a beginning, middle and end and helps to reinforce that nothing is permanent. This is especially helpful for kids with trauma backgrounds.
Frequently practicing yoga may help improve your physical, mental, and emotional health.