Simply put, changing the way we breathe can change the way we feel.
Taking full and even breaths help your body turn on the “relaxation response” and will help you feel calm and settled. We can use our breath to regulate the mind/body system. Breathing in and out of the nose helps to control the breath as well as filter the air we bring into our body. For many kids just saying “take a deep breath” is not enough. Having a prompt or focal point is a helpful way to learn to breathe in and out.
BE Calm Breath
- Sit comfortably on a chair or the floor with your spine nice and tall.
- Hold your BE Buddy™ in your hands or place it on the desk in front of you.
- Begin to breathe in through your nose at a comfortable pace while counting your breathing pattern to yourself. Notice your BE Buddy’s feathers sway in the air with each breath.
- When you are ready, begin to make your exhales longer than your inhales.
- As you exhale, without holding your breath, see if you can release all the air out of your lungs in a steady stream until empty. See how long you can watch the feathers wiggle in the wind.
- When you are ready to finish, come back to an even breathing pattern for a couple of breaths.
How does your body feel after a long exhale?
When might be a good time to try this releasing breathing your life?
Longer inhales = brings energy into the body
Longer exhales = releases excess energy from the body
Equal Inhales & Exhales = balanced (calm & alert)